Born in Griffin in 1898, Mr. Beck followed his father, W.H. beck, Sr., into the practice of law in 1921. Mr. Beck attended Griffin public schools, and he was president of his graduating class. While a student at the University of Georgia, Mr. Beck was selected as editor of the Red and Black student newspaper, and he was a member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity. Upon leaving Athens following graduation, Mr. Beck attended Harvard Law School.
In 1940, Mr. Beck was called back to the U.S. Army. During World War II, he served as a captain in the judge advocate branch, and he eventually advanced to the rank of lieutenant colonel. Following his retirement in 1960, Mr. Beck was awarded the Legion of Merit.
As an attorney, Mr. Beck held a number of positions, including longtime attorney for the City of Griffin Commissioners and Griffin Police Court Judge. He also served as a director at both The Bank of Griffin and Bank South. Mr. Beck played a significant role in Griffin life, most notably as president of the National Exchange Club, member of First Methodist Church, and exalted ruler of the Griffin Elks Club.